Monday, May 25, 2009

Second Opinion: An Issue for Discussion

Dear visitors,
I found this tag and my answers are here. KindlY share us with your kind comments:
· Do you take second opinion in your decisions and management plans?
· How frequent? Which cases?
· Do you take the full opinion and follow completely? Alternatively, do you discuss with them and take what you need and agree only?
· For your patients, is it a problem?
***********************************
New Tag: Second Opinion and Doctors

Do you take second opinion in your decisions and management plans?
Sure, I do.

How frequent? Which cases?
Now, not so frequent. At the start of my learning practical life, I was storing nearly most of my echocardiography cases in Flash memories from GE Machine. Then I was revising with myself the cases at the end of day before releasing the full reports. After wards, I was selecting some interesting or complex cases to discuss with my friends, seniors, and professors worldwide through internet. It was like a quality control.
However, for some clinical cases, I was not sure of full correct diagnosis or proper plan of management. I was sending clear statement; this is for second opinion.

Do you take the full opinion and follow completely? Alternatively, do you discuss with them and take what you need and agree only?
Mostly, I am convinced with the other opinion and understand the plan strategy, I follow.
However, rarely I do not understand or accept the opinion. If so, usually I ask for clarification. Because second opinion is not only help me. Also, teach me. You know different methods of thinking and approaches of diagnoses. You know their different or higher levels of education.

For your patients, is it a problem?
For patients and doctors, it should be very useful. I advice: do not hesitate to take second opinion.
Nowadays, Egyptian patients accept and respect doctors whom seeking other opinion. Sometimes patients are doing this step themselves. Then, come for you to tell that your decision was correct or accepted by other doctor. Some patients do not have any idea about this option. They may think that all doctors have the same scientific background, Knowledge, experience, or practical levels.
Some Arab patients do this option especially before major operation. They are aware with the importance of this. They know well this is their right. Even, they take this step while in hospital easily with aid of the treating team. It depends on how cooperative the treating doctors are. They should accept second opinion issue with no offense.

I power

Health Blogs - Blog RankingsMyWellsphereListed in Blogs By CountryHealth Blogs - Blog Top SitesHealth blogsintoIslam.com Islamic Search Engine & DirectoryHealth Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory BlogsByCategory.comAfrigator My Blog on VerveEarth Alot of Blogs Blog search directory DISCLAIMER: The views expressed here are those of the individual comments, and should not be taken to represent the view of the blog author.